Saturday, March 3, 2007

The Importance of turning 20

I called my best friend last week at midnight exactly since it marked her birthday...not any birthday,her 20th.I know people usually fuss about sweet 16s (and boy did i have a party for that) and turning 18 when some things become legal (particularly driving over here) and 21 when u can basically do anything that the law allows.but 20...that's a big leap,the "teen" word is dropped...no more blaming stupid acts on raging hormones,no more parents yelling saying "you're only (number)teen!"and for some odd reason the falafel dude seems to be offended when you call him "3amo",and he'd rather call you "ya5ty"(or "ya5oy" if your a guy).

On the other hand,parents still refuse to believe that their kids are actually growing up,annoying...but human nature,i get that.Also,pimples don't seem to miraculously disappear,and curfew is not extended....so bummer.

I don't want to sound fragmented by jumping from one point to another in my story (like Tristram Shandy),but back to my phone call to my best friend.We basically talked about growing up,generally.i mean that's a constant job,a person never really stops growing up,however 20 seems to be different.it marks our stay on planet earth for 2 decades,a generation all grown up now,ready to graduate,take on the responsibility of work and then eventually get married....hmmm.Is it normal?yes.Am i scared?Shitless.

I think most people have a "to do" list.Mine has a limit...6/10/2007,my very own 20th birthday.I am sad to say however that not even a few of the things that i want to do on that list i have actually done.Examples?Skydiving,bungee jumping and learning how to play the guitar....maybe in the next 7 months...or just someday.

Although I'm expressing my fears,i don't want anyone to get me wrong,i welcome the upcoming years so BRING IT ON!!!What's the importance of turning 20?I concluded that its all about welcoming the next 20 years with a clear mind,renewed faith and an open heart.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

well goals come and go just don't let them hinder you if they go unfulfilled...seven more months of teenagehood...that must be a bummer im bemoaning my year and four months left cuz once i am out of the 'teens' i'll never be able to go back and change anythign. so be happy with what youve done and think on that (cuz no matter what you must have done something...doesn't matter if its great or not)and don't worry about what you haven't done.
rock on girlfriend!
kloude

Unknown said...

I am turning 20 on September 17 2008 It is scary for me because I realize the responsibilities that I now need to be there for. Drinking isn't fun any more it was when I was under age and at House Parties. fuck it its time for the big world time to make some fucking money and get married!. Is that what being grown up is all about?

Anonymous said...

i love your comments and am quoting you (angel soul from jordan) to my son who is turning 20 today

Anonymous said...

I love the way you ended your speech.:)

Unknown said...

Thanks for your comments :)

Anonymous said...

I just turned 20 yesterday and this post is so true. 20 is one of the most interesting ages to turn I think. Last night with my last few moments of being a teen I sat on my couch, listening to lady gaga and eating pistachios while watching the snow outside my window. And it really made me happy. This whole day has been really strange. And I finally say yes when people ask me if I feel older cause I actually do now. :)

shadowcat said...

Your post echoed almost everything that I;ve been feeling..so true!

Well, I turn 20 in a month and I feel .. kind of.. I dont know.. like something is going to end.. and I couldnt savour every moment of that thing I was in. Clearly, I'm speaking about my teenage. It feels like yesterday when I turned 13.. the years flew past so fast, I didnt even realize! I had made a plan for myself.. when I turn 13, I do this.. when I'm 15, I would do this.. when i turn 16, i get this.. when im 18, i'll do that.. when i'm 19.. i'll have a helluva time.. and now i'm gonna be 20! it just doesnt seem to fit.. heh. Well, I guess that's how it is. Anyway, got a decade of twenties to explore and I bet its gonna be as fun as the teens or probably more. Let's see. I'm already feeling 20ish. And I kinda like that feel. ;)

Gosh, I'm excited! :D

aisha said...

i just turned 200 today its beautiful feelin i feel more of lady than the teen chick!!ur post is just beautiful!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks. Good content. Had been looking for some time. Hoping for a lot more weblogs of your stuff in the future.

Anonymous said...

Great piece of copy I must say. Well written and very beneficial, cheers!

Chirag said...

well I just turned 20 couple of days ago and I must say I can't believe it. Its so early and I am still due believing it that I am so old now.

Anonymous said...

I'm turning 20 on 11/27/2014. I decided to search up turning 20 because I felt like it should be important. Or, at least, I want it to be.

My birthday lands on Thanksgiving this time, and it won't for another 11 years...So I guess that's significant. I just wish that...like...the universe would change, or something like that. That it would make sense and I'd have a purpose. That it's not all random; that I was born to do something. I just want something to change, and/or feel right.

I don't know just thought I'd share my crazies.

Anonymous said...

I turn 20 on 05/05/2017 and I'm scared shitless! I hate the idea of getting old, the feeling of leaving my teenage-hood behind is terrifying to me! I keep telling my friends that I wish I could be Peter Pan, but alas - the show must go on. My 20th birthday marks the end of my second year of university and the end of being 19. It's sad to see my teenage years go by, it felt like they lasted forever but at the same time, they went by too fast. I really wish I cherished more moments during those times, but oh well - now I know how important those moments will be in my twenties (will keep the camera ready)! I'm trying to look on the bright side by realizing there is a certain joy in growing older and wiser with age, maybe not being a young and foolish party gal will be a nice change for once! Anyways, these are my silly yet scary thoughts as my 20th birthday approaches faster than ever, wish me luck in this fast paced game called 'life'!